You don’t have to do it alone – we’re here to help.
At Legacy Senior Living, we understand that the idea of sorting out and packing an entire household can be an overwhelming feeling. The good news is you don’t have to do it alone.
Legacy has established trusted professional partners that can provide assistance with all aspects of planning your move from preparing your home for sale to downsizing, coordinating your move and settling you in at your brand new home at Legacy.
Listen below as Stephanie Chan, Lifestyle Transitions Advisor of Home to Home Advisory Services gives us her Top 5 Downsizing Tips.
DOWNSIZING TIPS – MAKING YOUR MOVE STRESS FREE
Considering a lifestyle transition can be an overwhelming proposition for a senior adult leaving their home of 40 years or more.
As a Lifestyle Transition Advisor, I provide assistance and guidance to assist families and senior adults navigate the decision making process in deciding when is the right time to move and when the decision has been made, we put a plan in place to assist in making your move stress free.
Here are my top 5 downsizing tips:
- Don’t underestimate the amount of time it might take – start early, give yourself lots of time and take breaks.
- Tackle one area of the house at a time and start with a manageable task like a closet or a small room. An initial feeling of accomplishment will propel you to continue.
- Categorize everything as you sort, into 5 categories: Keep, sell, donate, family/friends, and trash. You can use colour coded stickers to keep track of all your decisions.
- Don’t forget about transferring your essential services such as mail, hydro, phone, TV, etc.
- Book your movers early and try to avoid the beginning and end few days of the month.
Learn more about Legacy Senior Living’s current “Peace of Mind” Promotion offering complimentary professional downsizing, packing and move-in services package. Offer expires December 1, 2017. Certain conditions apply.